Tips for an Effective Logo
Your logo is the first visual image many clients get of your company. Logos are essential parts of brands and establish the color scheme and character of your brand. Your logo is the centerpiece of your brand. Logo design is a craft that takes a lot of skill to master and is generally best left to a professional. However, here are some tips for evaluating the effectiveness of your logo:
- Ask the right questions: What do we do? How do we do it? Why are we here? Who are we here for? What makes us different? What do we value? What is our personality?
- A good logo should be simple and memorable. Over-drawn and over-complicated logos are distracting and difficult to remember.
- Logos should be timeless- will your logo be relevant in 20 years?
- Your logo should still be effective if printed in black and white.
- Your logo should be able to translate both on a postage stamp and on a billboard.
- Your typeface should be appropriate to your business- comic sans might be appropriate for a children’s store, but not a technology start-up. If possible, create a unique typeface or choose something not overused- like sans serif.
- Understand shape psychology
- Does your logo take advantage of negative space?
- Check your color scheme! Do the colors compliment one another? How do the colors effect mood?
- Get a second, third, fourth opinion! Ask friends, family, clients what they think.
- How will you incorporate the elements of your logo into other aspects of your business?