3 Social Media Challenges All Small Business Owners Face
As a small business owner you naturally wear many hats. However, we are going to look at one of those hats and that is the social media hat. As a small business owner social media presents many challenges. However, if you want to grow your business and effectively use social media then you will want to overcome these social media challenges.
- The Time Challenge – Yes it does take time out of your day to market your business on social media. Many business owners see it as adding just one more task to their already busy day. However, it is an important task that you do not want to overlook. To help you with this social media challenge here are some tips
- Schedule your posts. On Facebook you can use their schedule option. For other social media sites, you can use a 3rd party scheduler such as Hootsuite, SproutSocial, or Buffer to name a few.
- Schedule specific times daily for you to work on your social media. If 1 hour day works for your schedule, then add it in to your routine.
- Assign the tasks to one of your employees or outsource it to a professional. You do not have to do everything yourself.
- The Organic Reach Challenge – This is where have good, compelling content is important. You have to give your followers/audience the content they want to engage with. Here are some tips on how to do that:
- Have a consistent presence but routinely posting. You do not want to post 3x in one day and then nothing until the next week. This is where scheduling will truly help you.
- Post at peak times for your followers so you reach as many as possible.
- Keep content format fresh by using a variety of content types, such pictures, videos, ask questions, shout out’s to customers, quotes.
- The Strategy Challenge – without goals and a plan in hand your social media marketing will fall flat. You will not have a direction or a cohesive message that your followers can relate to. So, to over this challenge here are some tips.
- Identify who is your target market. What are they interested in? What do they like to do? How old are they? Where do they live? Married? Single? Mom? Parent of young children or older children?
- What problem does your product or service solve for your target market? You need to be seen has having the solution to their problem.
- What are your goals? Short term or long term? What is your vision for your business. What do you want to achieve? Then create a social media plan for how you are going to achieve this.
- Once you do this you will see how the content and timing all fall into place.
There are other social media challenges you might face but these are the 3 common ones and the ones where once you overcome them you are better able to overcome your other obstacles. What social media challenges do you face in your business?